CNN Headline News and NBC Nightly News are not the most watched programs among Bullis students. Watching the news on television or reading the news in a paper or through a twitter feed usually takes a back seat to the more common fare of watching weekly sitcoms or MTV. By ignoring the contemporary news, however, Bullis students will find themselves ignorant of events that could impact their future. One of those issues is the current political turmoil in the Ukraine. It is important that Bullis students understand what is going on in that country and how it could impact their own lives.
· Ukraine has long been caught between Europe and Russia.
· Ukrainian President Yanukovych was expected to sign a long negotiated trade agreement with the European Union that many Ukrainians believed would help them achieve a better life, but in November 2013, he announced he would not sign the agreement, but instead strengthen ties with the Russian Federation.
· Tens of thousands of protesters in central Kiev and other cities protested the government's sudden decision to abandon plans to sign the agreement.
· Security forces in Kiev killed at least 77 of the protestors. The President left the country and sough safety in Russia and an interim government takes over Russian refuses to recognize the new government.
· Russia sent troops to the Ukraine and stirred internal conflict by helping separatists in the Ukraine seize power in Crimea and trying to make it a separate country under Russian control. The West refuses to recognize Crimea as a separate country.
· Russia continues to send in more troops to Ukraine as Ukraine prepares to hold Presidential elections.
The consequences of these events are serious as conflict between Russian and Western Europe and the United States grows. Bullis students were not alive during the height of the Cold War between the Soviet Union and the United States during the 1950’s – 1970’s and have not experienced escalated tensions between the two major countries. If another Cold War starts between the world powers, there will be an impact on politics; on the economy as prices for oil and natural gas could rise; and increase the lack of security that comes with peacetime. Bullis students should be well informed on the political issues in the world so they understand how their future could be affected.